You may be eligible if you:
- Are a first-time homebuyer.
- Have not had an ownership interest in your home within the past three years.
Although household income limits apply, most Maine households are income-eligible for the program. Limits vary depending on how many people live in your household and where you plan to buy your home.
Most types of homes qualify for a First Home mortgage, including:
- New and existing single family homes.
- Owner-occupied, 2- to 4-unit apartment buildings.
- Permanently attached mobile homes built within the last 20 years. (Mobile home must be located on owned or leased land.)
Home purchase price limits apply, but vary by location and are seldom a limiting factor.
Being a first time home buyer is intimidating and a big life experience. First time home buyers often don't know where to begin. We can help. From mortgages, to home searches in your best places to live and schools information we can give you the tools you need to move forward. One of the first steps to being a first time home buyer is to get your financial house in order and make sure your credit is great. Once pre-approved for a mortgage, the home search process begins.
There are lots of styles of homes and neighborhoods research you'll want to explore as a first time home buyer before settling for a place and looking for homes. Search homes online and get help from us as a buyer's agent to help you secure a great first time home at a fair price. The mortgage types for first time home buyers may be more difficult to get these days and the process intimidating. Once your offer is accepted be sure to check out moving resources to get quotes on movers and other tools for first time home buyers moving into a new area.
As a first time home buyer be sure to keep some things in mind before you settle down. Is the neighborhood great? Is the area appreciating? Does your home have the room you need for family growth? How is the job market in the area and how close are your favorite hot spots? Once you find the right place, unpack and enjoy! Your first time home buyer experience is now complete.
First Time Home Buyer Programs
Maine has some first time home buyer programs. There are educational courses that explain in detail all of the programs, including grants and low-interest loans available to first time home buyers. Go to www.mainehomeworks.org for an online schedule. Some of these courses are free and some are available for a very small nominal fee. The programs are available at banks, KVCAP, and Maine State Housing.
First Time Home Buyer Tips
You may be already be somewhat familiar with the process of buying a home. However, the more you learn, the more you will benefit from your knowledge. This section provides tips for first time home buyers covering all aspects of the home buying process. Everything from the things you should and shouldn't say to a loan officer to contract contingencies in a purchase and sales agreement is covered in detail in this section. And if you have a question that isn't covered, you can email us and we'll do our best to respond in a timely manner.
Rachel's Service Pledge to First-time Homebuyers
I will . . .
||Work at no cost to you! Sellers pay the commission.|
||Provide detailed listing information not available to the general public.|
||Negotiate the deal to save you money.|
||Guide you through the avalanche of paperwork.|
||Commit my time and energy to finding you the right home.|
Your decision to buy a home is both a sound financial decision and a commendable achievement. As your real estate agent . . .
- I will lead you through every step of the exciting home buying process.
- I will help you define your "wish list" of features you want in your home, your neighborhood and your school district.
- I will walk you through the mind-boggling financial details associated with buying a home, including understanding the various mortgages and home buying programs available to you.
- I will monitor all new listings and alert you to new houses as soon as they are put on the market.
- I will eliminate the stress involved with buying a home by putting my years of real estate experience to work for you.
Finding the perfect home is my business. Contact me today!